Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Drying in the warm glow of the fire.

There's something wonderful about coming out of the shower, grabbing a warm towel and sitting in front of a fireplace and drying off at natures pace.

As I type this I'm doing just that. (Not really a nice thought for anyone who has seen what I look like naked but as that's only three former girlfriends, and my parents when I was a lot younger, so I don't have a major worry there.)

What makes it even more of a pleasure to sit here drying off is that at the moment outside it's like one of those old Black & White pirate films I remember from my mispent youth. Heavy winds are causing the rain to smack against the windows like flies on the windscreen of a fast travelling car during the Midge mating-season.

The only thing I can think of at the moment that would make this moment in my life even better would be having someone to snuggle into. The warmth of another human next to me seems to me to be the best thing I can think of at the moment, after all, is that not what every human wants in life? Maybe I'm just feeling a bit in need of company after four years of solitude.

Perhaps I should make the effort to get back into the dating game before I turn into a 40 year old curmudgeonistic swine that thinks everything is beyond fucked. [OK, I know that curmudgeonistic is technically not a word but it sure looks, and sounds, like it should be so I'm using it whether Collins, Merriam, Webster and the OED like it or not.]

In order to get back into the dating game I must start trying to remember the rules of the game. Here are the ones I can remember off the top of my head...

  1. Be yourself.
  2. Be polite.
  3. Be courteous.
  4. Tell absolutely no jokes that you wouldn't tell your Mother.
  5. Smile politely. (& only at her face.)
No doubt there are more that I have forgotten but I'm sure they'll come back to me.
It's like riding a bike...

(I know that's a very poor synonym given the subject matter but it's really clever and quite funny so I'm keeping it in there.)

No comments: